COULD XBOX’S FREE GAMES PROGRAM BE GETTING BETTER?

Thursday, August 21, 2014


By Jamaal Ryan


Between last night and this morning (in US EST at least) Reddit spotted a 24 hour free games beta tile named “Free Play Day” under Games with Gold on Xbox One.

Showcasing Max: The Curse of Brotherhood – which was available on Gold for free in May (finally playing it now), it was essentially assumed that Games with Gold will allow titles to be demoed within a full 24 hours.

One Reddit user stated that, “Yes I am in the preview program. I already own the game so it doesn't work for me. All it does for me is go to the store and I can select play from there because I already own it.”

Eurogamer reported that Microsoft stated on Twitter that they will be making an announcement on the matter shortly, however Kotaku reports Microsoft posted this official statement: "A promotional tile for 'Max: Curse of the Brotherhood' was posted briefly on the US dash in error yesterday. We apologize for any inconvenience. We're constantly exploring different ways to offer more benefits to our Xbox Live Gold members and will keep them updated when special offers become available."

It seems that Microsoft posted the service accidentally ahead of their intended announcement. But this slip up is an exciting tease. Similar to EA Access’ early access feature (yes, I’m positively obsessed with the concept of this program) Microsoft could soon be allowing gamers to test full games within a 24 hour period before purchase.

Now I’m not sure to what degree in which they’ll allow this access as some gamers could complete entire games from start to finish in one sitting. I myself beat Guacamelee! within a 24 hour period. So what could this Free Play Day program look like? Hopefully we’ll know soon. 

Image courtesy of Gamespot

No comments

Post a Comment

Newer Older